PALS is an advanced, instructor-led classroom course that uses a series of simulated pediatric emergencies to reinforce the important concepts of a systematic approach to pediatric assessment, basic life support, PALS treatment algorithms, effective resuscitation, and team dynamics. The goal of the PALS Course is to improve the quality of care provided to seriously ill or injured children, resulting in improved outcomes.
The PALS Course is for healthcare providers who respond to emergencies in infants and children. This includes personnel in emergency medicine, anesthesia, surgery, and critical care.
• Key changes in pediatric advanced life support, reflecting the new science from the 2015 American Heart Association Guidelines for Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Emergency Cardiovascular Care
• 1- and 2-rescuer child CPR and AED use
• 1- and 2-rescuer infant CPR
• Management of respiratory emergencies
• Rhythm disturbances and electrical therapy
• Vascular access
• Resuscitation team concept
• Cardiac, respiratory, and shock case discussions and simulations
• Systematic Approach to Pediatric Assessment
• Full course: 14 hours 10 minutes, plus additional time for breaks and lunch.
• Update course, with all optional stations: 8 hours 20 minutes, plus additional time for breaks and lunch.
• Update without optional stations: 6 hours 20 minutes, plus additional time for breaks and lunch.
• Course uses learning stations for practice of essential skills simulated clinical scenarios that encourage active participation
• Hands-on class format reinforces skills proficiency
• Classroom-based works well for learners who prefer group interaction and instructor feedback while learning skills
• Co-branded with the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP)
Upon successful completion of the course, including demonstration of skills competency in all learning stations and passing the 2 PALS core case scenarios (1 cardiac and 1 respiratory or shock) as a team leader, providing appropriate medical treatment and demonstrating effective team dynamics and a written test, students will receive a PALS
course certification ecard which is valid for two years.
Mandatory Student Materials
• 2020 PALS Provider Manual