ACLS is an advanced, instructor-led classroom course that highlights the importance of team dynamics and communication, systems of care, and immediate post-cardiac-arrest care. It also covers airway management and related pharmacology. In this course, skills are taught in large, group sessions and small, group learning and testing stations where case-based scenarios are presented.
ACLS is designed for healthcare professionals who either direct or participate in the management of cardiopulmonary arrest and other cardiovascular emergencies. This includes personnel in emergency medicine, anesthesia, surgery, and critical care.
• Key changes in advanced cardiovascular life support, reflecting the 2020 American Heart Association Guidelines for Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Emergency Cardiovascular Care
• Basic life support skills, including effective chest compressions, use of a bag-mask device and use of an (AED)
• Recognition and early management of respiratory and cardiac arrest
• Recognition and early management of peri-arrest conditions such as symptomatic bradycardia
• Airway management
• Related pharmacology
• Management of acute coronary syndromes (ACS) and stroke
• Effective communication as a member and leader of a resuscitation team
• Effective Resuscitation Team Dynamics
• Initial Provider Course requires approximately 10-12 hours to complete, including skills practice and skills testing.
• Renewal Course requires approximately 4-6 hours, including skills practice and skills testing.
• Course time based on 1 instructor: 6 students: 2 manikins
• Classroom-based (instructor and video, with skills conducted throughout)
• Course uses learning stations for practice of essential skills simulated clinical scenarios that encourage Active participation
• Hands-on class format reinforces skills proficiency
Upon successful completion of the course, including demonstration of skills competency in all learning stations and passing the CPR and AED skills test, bag-mask ventilation skills test, a Megacode test, and a written test, students will receive an ACLS course certification ecard which is valid for two years.
Mandatory Student Materials
• 2020 ACLS Provider Manual